Friday, June 11, 2010


We spent Memorial weekend in California with Brad's family. It was a great trip! We had a lot of fun, saw things, and spent time with family.
Tyler and Katie especially loved to see Grandma and Grandpa Bastian. and G-Grandma Tarter.

So here is how our trip started. We drove to DIA. We got checked in and that is where it all started. Katie freaked out because they took her car seat. 3 bags, 2 car seats, 2 carry-ons, 2 kids. It took us about 30 minutes to get through the check point. Katie was so restless by that time. When we got up close to our gate I looked at the departure board and it said our flight wasn't leaving until 9:00, we were scheduled for a 7:05 departure. Brad went to find out what was wrong and come to find out, there had been tornadoes by the airport and at least one had touched down. Everyone had been evacuated from the airport to the restrooms and bunkers in the airport. When I say everyone was evacuated, I mean the entire airport including people already boarded on the planes and all workers..... are you getting the picture....DISASTER ZONE! So all flights were delayed. So we hung out at the airport waiting for our flight. We let Tyler and Katie run mostly free within the area we were in.
Around 9:00 we headed to our gate only to find out our flight was delayed again. This happened several times. We finally boarded around 12:45 am....yes I did say AM as in the next morning.
As we boarded Katie started to cry for several reasons, she was dead tired, no sleep yet, the plane was loud. She wouldn't sit in her chair so I got to hold her for the 2 hour 45 minute flight while she attempted to sleep. Brad and Tyler were out as soon as we took off. So being as late as we were, we were not able to rent our car so we got a hotel which was HEAVEN!!!!!
The next morning Brad picked up the rental car and we headed to the Oakland Temple.

This is the scene around 8:30pm while we were sitting in the airport. Looks a little scary to me.

It was raining in Oakland which made for difficult driving conditions. Our wipers were on high but we couldn't see anything. Luckily the Visitors Center had umbrellas and I was able to take a picture of the Oakland Temple.

Us at the Visitors Center in Oakland.
After we left Oakland, we went to see Brad's family and then head to Anne's house where we were staying for a good nap. We were exhausted.

On Friday we went to the beach with Roger. We had a great time, I think the kids liked it. Tyler and Katie were both afraid of the water which was nice because we didn't need to watch them continuously but they never left our side so it worked out great. It was a little cold when we first got there but then the sun came out and the wind stopped blowing and it turned out really nice.

Portugese Beach

Brad and Roger

Three Generations of Bastian's

Katie and her grandpa B

Tyler was afraid the water was going to get him. I had a hard time getting him to stand by his name.

Katie wouldn't go near the water at all. Even with Brad holding her she still was fighting and kicking to get away from the water.

After the beach we headed to the county fair. Tyler went down the big inflatable slide with Brad and loved it. We had cotton candy, sno cones, chips, teriyaki, pizza.....way to much food but a good time.

On Saturday we went to Armstrong Grove State Park. There are hiking trails, pic-nic tables, a stream and the huge sequoia trees.

Tyler found this caterpillar and played with it forever until we made him let it go.

Katie and G-Grandma Tarter out for a walk

Tyler, Katie and cousin Madison

Sunday we went to church, had a BBQ with all of the family, which I am sorry to say I did not take any pictures of everyone there.....I don't know why???

Monday morning we headed for home.
Katie did much better on the flight, she even took a nap which was heaven for me.

We had a great time and can't wait to do it again! We are hoping to make it a tradition to visit every Memorial Weekend.
sorry about the picture OVERLOAD!

No comments:

Mesa Arizona Temple

Mesa Arizona Temple