Friday, October 16, 2009

Garden of the Gods

Last Saturday we decided to go fro a ride to Garden of the Gods. It was suppose to start snowing the night before but not much came of it and I had cabin fever. So we bundled up and headed out. There was sleet and lots of fog but that seemed to be it. When we hit Garden of the Gods road, we hit black ice. A little scary to say the least. There were cars in front of us, we were going down hill and couldn't hit the brakes. Luckily for us, we were safe, no accidents. We turned into Garden of the Gods and this is what we saw.....

2 deer hanging out eating the berries on the trees.


As we went around the corner, there was a truck off the side of the road in the gully. They had driven up to these rocks when they lost traction and slid back down. Luckily for us, we didn't have a problem.


Brad tried to push the truck out and as he was doing this, several cars drove by and didn't even offer to help. He was finally successful and the truck turned around on the one way street and went back down which was only about a mile.

As the truck was heading down and Brad was trying to cross the road, he couldn't because of the ice on the road. Every time he took a step, he would slide back. We finally found a place where he could get some traction and was able to cross. As this happened, this car drove around the corner, lost traction and ended up in the gully.


Brad pushed them out too. Some other guys tried to help and only made the situation worse. They decided they couldn't help so they left.....

Brad was definitely the hero that day. He was able to help push 2 cars out of the gully and help them get turned around.



On our way home, as the temperature dropped there was more ice. It took us about 30 minutes to make it back to the freeway. Once we got to the over pass, we saw an accident, 50 car pile-up.
We were very blessed and lucky to make it home safely.
I can say I don't think I have ever offered a more fervent prayer for us to be safe.
Prayers are answered!

4 comments:

Jamie Blake said...

Holy cow! I bet you guys aren't used to the snow and black ice. We get a lot of it here in Idaho too, but it is never fun. Driving in bad weather always makes me very uneasy!

Juliana said...

Crazy! Glad you guys were safe!

Stef said...

Wow! That would have freaked me a little...probably would have had fingernail marks on the dashboard.

Kristyn said...

Insane! What crazy conditions. Good thing Brad was there to help out! And your pictures look great! I too love taking them, it's the funnest thing, huh? I'm glad you put down the info on each shot b/c I was definitely looking at all of them trying to see how the f-stops and whatnot played out. I think Katie in the red looks great - the vibrancy I thought was perfect and not too much. What editing program do you use? I tell ya, it's all about the editing, isn't it? Your photos look greta, I'm way impressed. Especially with the temple shots. Is that the same picture Marni uses on her blog? Wait, I just checked hers and I guess there's minor differences, but your look fantastic!

Mesa Arizona Temple

Mesa Arizona Temple