Thursday, July 5, 2012

4th of July

I love the 4th of July.  I love getting together with family and friends.  I love celebrating the many freedoms most of us take for granted every day.  I know I am not always aware of what we have.  I love the BBQ's, the fireworks, the colors, our flag.  My list could keep going.
Since we didn't go to Arizona this year, we decided, kind of last minute, to have a bike parade and pancake breakfast at our house.
When I was growing up in the small town of Solomon, most 4th of July's we would decorate our bikes with create paper and streamers and have a bike parade and then a pancake breakfast.  I loved it!  My brother's bike was ALWAYS decorated better than mine.  I wanted Tyler and Katie to have this same experience and possibly make this a family tradition every year.
We invited about 25 people over.  There were about 10 kids with their bikes or wagons.  It was fun!
We started with our pancake breakfast.  We had fruit, pancakes, muffins, eggs, bacon, juice, milk and lots of talking and socializing.  The kids couldn't wait to get outside to ride.  As soon as most people were done, we headed out to the cul-de-sac and let the kids show us their stuff and ride, ride, ride.
I think everyone had a great time.
Thanks to everyone for coming and enjoying this great day with us!
We rested the afternoon and then went to a late lunch and to the movies to see Brave.  Katie thought it was scary and Tyler said can we buy that movie.  
Overall it was a fantastic day.
Unfortunately, we were not able to see any fireworks because there was a ban on them this year because of the Waldo Fire.  Everything is very dry.  But there is always next year and possibly pioneer day if we are able to make it to AZ.

No comments:

Mesa Arizona Temple

Mesa Arizona Temple