Monday, July 16, 2012

Pondering

It has been a couple of weeks since the Waldo Fire here in Colorado Springs.  
It was a crazy few days, especially for those people who were truly effected by the fire.  32,000+ people were evacuated from their homes, some with only minutes to get out.  On that Tuesday evening when the wind started to blow and we saw the fire start to crest over the mountain my heart ached for all those many people who lived West of I-25.  It was an eerie feeling, almost helpless.
On Tuesday when we were out taking these pictures the smoke in the air was overwhelming.  It felt like we were sitting at a camp fire and there was no escaping the smoke.  I was worried for Tyler and Katie not being able to breathe.  I wouldn't let them get out of the car and for the most part had them keep the windows rolled up.
When we went home that evening we were glued to the TV.  Every local station was covering the fire.  All the many people being evacuated  were shown.  The traffic was stopped.  Bumper to bumper.  I am so thankful they were able to get out.  346 homes were lost that fateful night on June 26, 2012.  The fire was so bad even the firefighters had to retreat.  
2 weeks later we were driving around the Mountain Shadows area, not wanting to overstep our bounds, it was so devastating to see the disaster.  Homes burned and there was nothing left.
Helen H. Richardson, The Denver Post
I am so thankful we were kept safe.  I am thankful to the many men and women who risked their lives fighting this fire. 
This truly puts life into perspective.
I am so very thankful for my family.  I am thankful we are together and safe.
  

No comments:

Mesa Arizona Temple

Mesa Arizona Temple